Department of Education is changing the application process to make it more user-friendly.
Complete the FAFSA application AFTER February 1, 2012.
- If you are not required to complete a tax return, you still must complete the application after February 1, 2012.
- Do not complete the application during the month of January 2012. You will be required to redo the application after February 1, 2012.
Verification Process: Students will be required to obtain an IRS Transcript (www.IRS.gov). After you file your tax return, wait two weeks before requesting your transcript. We are prohibited from accepting tax returns.
Renewal Reminders: FAFSA will send you a reminder letter between January-February 2012. To update your information, Go to www.FAFSA.edu.gov.
- Click on "Start Here."
- Enter your information and click next.
- Click on "Make FAFSA Corrections."
- Enter your pin number and a password.
- There is a blue banner at top of page – select "Student Demographics" tab.
- Update your email address, mailing address, and other pertinent information.
- Save, then exit.
- Click on "logout" located next to your name at top of page.
2012-2013 Verification Process:
Students will be required to obtain an IRS Transcript.
- Under Tools, click on "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript"
- Under Number 3, click "Order a Transcript"
- Choose "Tax Return", unless
- You amended tax return, then choose "Tax Account."
- Call 1-800-908-9946
- Enter social security number and follow the prompts to order transcript.
- Under Tools; click on "Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript."
- Under Number 1, click on "Tax Return Transcript."
- Right hand side in blue box labeled "Tax Forms You May Find Useful."
Click on "Form 4506-T-EZ Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript."
- Print and complete. Mail form "certified" so you know when it was received by the IRS office.
- Request your transcript two weeks (10 working days) after you file your tax return.
- Effective January 1, 2012, we are prohibited from accepting tax returns.
If you have any questions please call Marlene in Financial Aid at (719) 884-5052 or email MNJones@nbc.edu.
Filed Under: Communicator Published: 12/20/2011