SOC2003GS - Intercultural Communication
An introductory course that walks the student through the key concepts of communication and culture. Topics studied include: barriers in intercultural communication; dimensions of culture; multiculturalism; women, family, and children; and culture’s inﬂuence on perception.
The following intended learning outcomes will be achieved by this course:
- Reflect upon the impact that your own cultural background and perceptions have in shaping intercultural communication and interactions.
- Identify primary differences in communication practices of different cultures.
- Understand the intercultural communication process and its potential for both misunderstanding and growth.
- Analyze the reasons for misunderstanding in intercultural communications.
- Develop a set of strategies for intercultural communication competence.
Introduction to Sociology