PAS3033 - Christian Preaching I
An introduction to homiletical principles and the practice of sermon preparation.
At the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Prepare and preach sermons that are Biblically Based.
- Prepare and preach sermons that are Spirit Driven.
- Prepare and preach sermons that are Outcome Focused.
- Prepare and preach Well Crafted Sermons.
- Prepare and preach sermons that are Communicated Effectively.
The following are Competencies for Ministry as outlined in the Sourcebook on Ordination USA that will be addressed in this course:
- CN6 Ability to exegete a passage of Scripture using contextual, literary, and theological analysis.
- CP12 Ability to prepare, and deliver biblically sound sermons using appropriate techniques and skills demonstrating cultural sensitivity.
- CP13 Ability to develop sermons in various forms (evangelistic, pastoral care, doctrinal teaching, lectionary, etc.).
- CP14 Ability to assess the strengths and weaknesses of current homiletical models in light of enduring theological and contextual perspectives.
Introduction to the Old Testament and Introduction to the New Testament, Biblical Interpretation, Principles of Public Speaking, and two English composition courses.