ENG0013 - Basic English Skills
A study of basic English skills covering the essential elements of punctuation, usage, grammar and sentence structure. A course required for all students scoring below 80 on the ETS Accuplacer proficiency examination in English usage. (Credit for Basic English Skills does not apply toward any degree offered by the college.)
The following learning goals will be achieved by this course:
- Improve the student's writing and speaking skills through a basic understanding of sentence structure, parts of speech, and standard usage of capitalization and punctuation.
- Improve students understanding of where to look and how to understand vocabulary.
- Improve the student's ability to use essential media, to include MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Improve the student's ability to orally present subject matter through the written word.
- Increase the student's comprehension ability in reading through an understanding of central overarching themes and paragraph comprehension.
- Increase student's ability to do research using NBC course resources.
- Improve student's time management skills through rigor and relevance.
There are no prerequisites for this course.