EDU4673 - Methods in Teaching Science
A course focusing on current trends, strategies and materials for teaching science in the elementary classroom. Science standards will be presented with emphasis on a project-based science instruction approach. Current research in teaching methods will be explored and interdisciplinary teaching techniques presented.
The following outcomes will be accomplished through this course:
- Define science and explore its place in creation, life, and the curriculum.
- Define a personal scientific self and develop reflective teaching skills.
- Survey the core concepts in the science curriculum.
- Distinguish between constructivism and the traditional approach to teaching.
- Discover what it is to be a mediator and how it applies to teaching science.
- Distinguish between science activities and a science lessons.
- Explore ways to manage the science classroom, and teach the skill of scientific study.
- Explore the use of technology, collaboration, models, and kits in the science classroom.
- Recognize the complexities of classification.
- Explore ways to extend the lesson in order to pursue ideas and questions that arise.
- Understand the terms assessment and testing as they apply to science.