BIB3023 - Poetic and Wisdom Literature
An exegetical study focusing on the historical, literary, and theological dimensions of the poetic and wisdom literature in the Old Testament.
The following learning objectives will be achieved by this course:
- Explain the major themes underlying Hebrew poetry and wisdom literature.
- Describe and elaborate on the literary and historical material pertaining to the poetic and wisdom literature.
- Become familiar with the general, major and theological concepts of this literature as expressed in such terms as: Repentance, Redemption, Holiness, Purity, Praise, Thanksgiving, Sin, Retribution, God, Satan, Trust, Wisdom, Communion, Man, Suffering, Nation, Existence, Joy, Love, Integrity, Wealth.
- Apply truths of the literature in contemporary life-need situations.
- Discuss the subject of human suffering and divine providence.
- Develop a greater appreciation for the sovereignty of God, worship, prayer and devotional life.
- Exegete passages from the Poetic and Wisdom literature.
- Apply the literature to his/her personal and spiritual development and utilize it as a rich resource for preaching and teaching.
Introduction to the Old Testament and Biblical Interpretation.