EDU4651 - Language Arts Methods
Methods of language arts applied across the curriculum in upper elementary grades. Topics include: integrated approaches, listening, speaking, reading, writing, and literature response.
The following outcomes will be achieved by this course:
- Identify the content areas of language arts.
- Distinguish between contextualized and direct instruction methods for grammar instruction.
- Identify attitudes about and issues in integrating the language arts.
- Identify developmental concepts related to listening and speaking.
- Identify listening and speaking skills and appropriate methods for teaching those skills.
- Distinguish between types of listening and speaking.
- Evaluate spelling programs on the basis of effective instruction.
- Identify key influences on the English language.
- Identify effective strategies for vocabulary development.
- Explore the relationship between language study and vocabulary development.
- Identify trends and issues in teaching handwriting.
- Identify methods and resources for teaching personal writing.
- Explore the role of technology in teaching the language arts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of integration in teaching the language arts.
- Explore the role of students' first language in developing competency in the language arts.