CEM2123 - Teaching Methods and Curriculum Design
A survey of the teaching/learning process focusing on classroom instruction and hands-on laboratory experience that will assist the student to acquire skills in developing lesson plans; selecting, developing, and using a variety of teaching methods; and designing a curriculum plan for the church. Prerequisite: Introduction to Christian Educational Ministries and Foundations for Christian Educational Ministries.
The following learning objectives will be achieved by this course:
- The student will demonstrate an understanding of the use of media and methods in the local church.
- The student will develop an educational philosophy for the use of media and methods in teaching.
- The student will develop a Christian educational philosophy regarding curriculum and teaching methods in the local church.
- The student will develop a variety of teaching presentations by including games and simulations, videos, PowerPoint presentations, and other creative experiential approaches.
- The student will gain a theoretical framework for the implementation of media and methods into the teaching ministry of the church.
- The student will gain skills to evaluate and assist current use of media and methods in the local church.
- The students will gain an understanding of the use of the Internet and computer in teaching in the local church.
- The student will gain an understanding of Christian educational curriculum design from a leadership perspective.
- The student will be able to evaluate Christian educational curriculum and adapt it to use in various educational settings.
- The student will be able to prepare a case study paper on curriculum development and/or teaching methods in the local church following NBC Christian Educational Ministries guidelines.
The following competencies as outlined in the (SOURCEBOOK) to meet the educational requirements for Ordination within the Church of the Nazarene will be achieved by completing this course:
- Ability to prepare and lead discipleship ministries that are biblically sound, age-appropriate, intergenerational, and culturally sensitive.
Introduction to Christian Educational Ministries and Foundations for Christian Educational Ministries.