MUS1143 - Music Ministries I - Introduction
An introduction to church music to acquaint the student with the importance, the place, and the responsibility involved in having creative music ministries for all age levels in the local church. Introduction to music technology software, sound reinforcement concepts, and church music industry resources. Begin development of music ministry philosophy.
The following intended learning outcomes will be achieved by this course:
- To develop a better understanding of the important role that music plays in ministry.
- To be impacted with a new awareness of what "praise" and "worship" really means, and how to achieve them in a given church service.
- To be able to articulate more clearly a philosophy of church music.
The following are Competencies for Ministry as outlined in the Sourcebook on Ordination USA that will be addressed in this course:
- CP11 Ability to envision, order, and participate in contextualized, theologically grounded worship and to develop and lead appropriate services for special occasions (i.e. wedding, funeral, baptism, and Lord's Supper).
- CP19 Ability to prepare and lead a music ministry that is biblically sound, utilizing appropriate techniques and skills demonstrating cultural sensitivity.
- CP20 Ability to assess contemporary approaches to church music in light of enduring theological and contextual perspectives.
There are no prerequisites for this course.