MUS3023 - Hymnology
A study of the music of the Protestant churches including a survey of hymns, gospel songs, contemporary praise and worship choruses, and hymnal and chorus book analysis. The distinctive of evangelical music in general and our Nazarene music in particular are studied. This course will focus on the philosophical, biblical, and historical background upon which hymn composition is based.
- To survey the history and development of music in the Christian church.
- To develop an appreciation of the musical, literary, and spiritual significance of hymnody and hymnology as well as its relationship the Church of the Nazarene.
- To analyze and evaluate the musical, literary, and theological value of individual hymns and contemporary worship compositions.
- To recognize the foundational role Christian hymns serve in contemporary worship.
- To gain a deeper love for Christ and His church through the expressions of adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication found in the hymns of the Christian Church.
- To engage is writing poetry and music at the beginning level based on scriptures in completion of an original hymn composition.
MUS1161 - Music Fundamentals (proficiency requirement)