ENG1013 - English Composition I
A study of the fundamental principles of sentence, paragraph, and essay composition, including a review of grammar, usage, and punctuation. A satisfactory level of proficiency demonstrated in an assigned essay is required to earn a passing grade for the course. Prerequisite: ETS ACCUPLACER score of at least 95 or an earned grade of a ‘B’ or above in either ENG0133 - Basic English Skills III or ENG0123 – Basic English Skills II
Students will achieve the following learning outcomes in this course:
- Acquire the ability to integrate good grammar, usage, and punctuation to create effective sentences and paragraphs for informal and formal writings, and professional communications using standard written English.
- Organize ideas for clear and logical communication in a variety of essay genres crafted for specific purposes and audiences using effective supporting details as constructed through the writing process of planning, outlining, composing, editing, revising, and reflecting.
- Develop reading comprehension and critical thinking skills, including analysis, synthesis, and evaluation techniques through reading published essays from various genres.
- Write independently and regularly with various formal and informal formats.
- Demonstrate the ability to compose a formal paper adhering to standards of intellectual honesty with MLA documentation and formatting.
- Show an understanding that becoming a more skilled, proficient, and critical reader, writer, and thinker prepares one for an effective ministry by attending class and actively participating in class activities and discussions.
The following are competencies for Ministry as outlined in the Sourcebook for Ministerial Development that will be addressed in this course:
- Ability to communicate publicly through multiple methods (oral, written, media, etc.) with clarity, and creativity, utilizing gender inclusive language. (CP1)
ETS ACCUPLACER score of at least 95 or an earned grade of a ‘B’ or above in either ENG-0133 – Basic English Skills III or ENG-0123 – Basic English Skills II.